AutoArchive is a tool to keep your active mailbox size below the maximum set by the network administrators. The AutoArchive feature has a two-step process. First, you turn on the AutoArchive
feature. Second, you set the properties for the AutoArchive feature for each folder that you want archived.
At the folder level, you can determine the items that are to be archived and how frequently they are archived. You can automatically archive individual folders, or you can configure a default AutoArchive setting for all folders and then configure AutoArchive settings for individual folders that you do not want to use the default AutoArchive settings. The AutoArchive feature runs
automatically whenever you start Outlook. Outlook checks the AutoArchive properties of each folder by date and moves old items to your archive file. Items that are moved to the Deleted Items folder
How to Turn On the AutoArchive Feature
- On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Other tab.
- Click AutoArchive.
- Click to select the AutoArchive Every check box, and then specify how frequently the AutoArchive process will run by typing a number in the days box.
- If you want to be notified before the items are archived, click to select the Prompt Before AutoArchive check box.
- Click the Browse button in the Default archive file box and navigate to the following path H:\EmailArchive\yourusername for
example: your username is gatorfan, then your path would be H:\EmailArchive\gatorfan
- Click OK two times.
Now that you have turned on the AutoArchive feature, you must set the AutoArchive properties for each folder.
How to Set the AutoArchive Properties for a Folder
- In the Folder List, right-click the folder that you want to AutoArchive, and then click Properties.
- Click the AutoArchive tab.
- To set the AutoArchive properties for this folder, click to select Clean out items older than.
- To specify when the items must be automatically transferred to your archive file, type a number in the Months box.
- To specify a file for the archived items to be transferred to, click Move old items to.
- In the Move old items to box, type a file name for the archived items, or click Browse to select from a list, and then click OK.
How to manually run the AutoArchive on your mailbox to clear out space immediately
- Click File, click Archive.
- Select Archive this folder and all subfolders, select Mailbox – Lastname, First name
- Enter a date, example select to archive email older than 3 months
- Under Arhive file make sure it is going to your archive file on your H: home drive. This path should look like
- Click OK and this will begin the archive process manually on the folder or folders that you selected.